Monday, November 10, 2008

There was this joke about a French asmatic that could only catch his breathe between snatches...

David Sedaris came to do a reading at The Village Voice book shop, for his new book (well, not so new anymore) When You Are Engulfed In Flames. Me and a few other nerds were absolutely thrilled we were able to see him speak. I made sure to get to the area a few hours early to ensure a good spot. I spoke with the bookshop owner at 5, who reassured me if I came back at six I would be able to get a seat and get my book signed. After reading some Sedaris over a glass of red wine next door, I returned to the bookshop (directly next door) to find it PACKED with people. Keep in mind bookshops in Paris are no Barnes & Nobles, but thankfully I was able to squeeze behind some people and get an ok spot. David came in to sign everyone's books and would draw or wright to most random things in them, like a drawing of Ab Lincoln with a turtles body. In mine he wrote "diabetes is for lovers," before asking me if I had it and me telling him "no". My favorite part was when he got to my friend Alison was having David sign a book for a friend named Will. David didn't hear her correctly and asked the name again, Alison replied "Will, as in, when you're dead". It was great, especially since she was the one nerding out the most over this whole thing. Once he started to read he told us he was sick of his book, so he was going to read something else. He read a story for the New Yorker about Obama, stuff he wrote for This American Life (it didn't get aired) and my favorite bits from his diary. Oh yeah, BTW Hugh was in the audience as well. If you've read him you'll know who i'm talking about. After we all ate at our favorite place that serves American food: Coffee Parisien.



shock and awe

post signing


Our placemat with President elect Obama.

1 comment:

Simon Dodgen said...

Coffee Parisien! That was a good day.