Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sorbonne


I made it through my first week in Paris! Though I'm not fully adjusted to the time difference (mainly because we've been staying out till 3 every night), I'm feeling comfortable with my surroundings & loving the people i've met so far. On Thursday all the kids that are taking French at Sorbonne had to go down to the school to take our placement test. We all piled into a bus and then were shoved into a charming old classroom to take our exam. Most of the kids were nervous, because they have to place into certain levels for their university, thankfully for me I KNEW I was going to place fairly low;) As soon as the professor walked into the room she started speaking French & continued to through the test. I made it through the first half, then decided to write "I do not speak French" on my exam and turned it in. I am now in beginners French at Sorbonne. Yippee! The school is such a beautiful old building. There are tons of French students around, lots of cafes & book stores. I'm really excited to start class next week. I've been in search for a bike to buy while living here, so I can ride to school. San Francisco bike incident aside I think i'll be fine on a cruiser bike with a basket leisurely riding to school. We also found out the other day that we get to participate in a graduation ceremony once we are through with our Sorbonne program. How nerdy!! They lend us robes and we get to walk as if we were graduating from the school, except we will just receive our French language certificate. I think they are just trying to make the American students feel special. I thought that everyone that signed up through CEA (the program I'm abroad with) was going to Sorbonne, but it turns out only about 20 of us are, so I feel pretty special to be getting to study at such a historic university.

1 comment:

Evie said...

"I do not speak French."
Hahahaha! Classic!
How is everything? Amazing? I am so jealous. We are still in the middle of Summer back in SF. Sundresses and tank tops galore. Too bad you're not here or we could have a picnic.
:( Oh well.
Can't wait to read more!